I've only had my hands on Windows XP SP3 a few hours and already the questions are coming in. I'll try an answer them in this quick FAQ:
What's the SP3 install process consist of?
Here's a visual walk-through.
How big a download is SP3?
Depends. If you wait for the Automatic Update it'll be in the region of 60MB. However, the full download if you go and get it yourself will be 544MB.
Do I need to have SP1/SP2 installed to install XP SP3 or will it install onto XP RTM?
According to the release notes the PC must at least be running Windows XP with SP1 installed. SP2 is recommended.
What's the minimum system spec for SP3?
- A 233 megahertz (MHz) processor
- 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM
- 900 MB of available disk space during installation
What versions of XP is SP3 compatible with?
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
XP Professional x64 is not supported.
Can SP3 be uninstalled?
- Click Start, and then Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs, click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note that programs that you installed after installing SP3 might no longer work after removing SP3.