It seems that a patch that Microsoft sent down the update pipes to XP users is causing some users to have BSoDs and endless reboots.
The error displayed with the BSoD is error “PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA”.
At present we don't know which of the updates is the problematic one so the current solution involves uninstalling all the installed patches:
- Boot your XP system from the CD/DVD and enter the Recovery Console.
- At the Command Prompt type: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB978706$\spuninst
- At the Command Prompt type: BATCH spuninst.txt
- At the Command Prompt type: systemroot
- Now repeat steps 2 to 4 but replacing KB978706 in step 2 with each of the following in turn:
- When you’ve finished, type the following: exit
Annoying I know, but this should get your PC up and running again.