Sobering stats from Secunia. Out of a random sampling of 20,000 systems, a whopping 98.09% have one or more insecure program installed.
The total number of PCs/users included in these numbers are 20,000, out of these 98.09% have 1 or more insecure programs installed on their PC, hence: 98 out of 100 PCs that are connected to the Internet have insecure programs installed!
It gets worse - nearly half of all Windows systems have eleven or more insecure programs installed.
Here's the data:
- 0 Insecure Programs: 1.91% of PCs
- 1-5 Insecure Programs: 30.27% of PCs
- 6-10 Insecure Programs: 25.07% of PCs
- 11+ Insecure Programs: 45.76% of PCs
This data is a subset of the data collected by Secunia's own PSI (Personal Software Inspector) scanner software.
So, what do you do? Well, here's an idea:
- Download Secunia PSI.
- Install it.
- Run it!
- Now act on any vulnerabilities it finds (PSI makes downloading updates a snap - you just have to click on the download link).
- Now run it regularly and patch anything that you might have missed!
Do it now!