May 4th, 2006
This is a [tag]USB flash drive[/tag], but with a twist - everything that's loaded onto it is protected by 128-bit hardware-based [tag]AES[/tag] [tag]encryption[/tag]. This means that everything loaded onto the drive is automatically protected and safe in case of loss. Should the drive become lost or stolen the on-board security system will lock the drive after 25 consecutive failed password attempts. This means that if a good password is chosen then you're data is pretty safe.
There's no doubt that this drive is aimed at the enterprise market (business) but given the sensitive information that people now routinely store on their [tag]USB flash[/tag] drives I'm certain that it could offer significant benefits for consumer users too.
The [tag]Kingston[/tag] [tag]Data Traveler Elite[/tag] Privacy Edition USB flash drive comes in a number of sizes:
Here's how it works.
- You plug the drive into the PC and Windows detect it.
- The USB drive has two partitions - one that contains the control software, manual and so on, and the other will be where the data is stored. The data partition is not accessible until a password is set for the drive.
- That's it - the data partition is ready for use. Each time the drive is hooked up to a USB port a password has to be supplied to access the data partition. After that, the drive works like any other USB flash drive.
I've only just started using the drive so I can't comment much about it apart from to say that it works. The drive itself looks and feels robust. It's a lot bigger and heavier than my SanDisk Cruzer Micro but that's not a problem. If anything I find the Cruzer too small and easily to lose.
I'll post a fuller review of it in a few days - I need to have a few days of using it before I get a good feel for it.
- Capacities - 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB
- Dimensions - 2.67" x 0.829" x 0.355" (67.7mm x 20.8mm x 9.0mm)
- Operating Temperature - 32º F to 140º F (0º C to 60º C)
- Storage Temperature - -4º F to 185º F (-20º C to 85º C)
- Fast - data transfer rates of up to 24 MB/sec. read and up to 14 MB/sec write
- Convenient - pocket-sized for easy transportability
- Easy - plug and play into any USB port
- Guarantee - five-year warranty
- Customisable - co-logo program available
- Data Retention - up to 10 years
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 4th, 2006 at 22:12 and is filed under Kit!, PC Doctor's Thoughts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.